4.24.2007

Fettuccine with Ramps alla Carbonara


This would be my secret weapon if my pasta dishes ever had to duel other pasta dishes. (Which they WILL someday!)

My Fettuccine with ramps alla carbonara comes out to visit once a year and its well worth it. A very simple dish once you find the ramps.

In the words of Alton Brown, your software:
  • 1 pound of fresh pasta
  • As many ramps as you can stand and or find. I used 15 bunches in this case. Cut the greens, cut the whites.
  • 5 to 10 slices of prosciutto chopped
  • black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of pecorino romano
  • pat of butter
  • 1 egg

While the pasta is cooking, start by sautéing your ramp whites for a minute or two with a pat of butter. Next, add the ramp greens and chopped prosciutto. As soon as the pasta is just about al dente pull it off the heat and drain. Place the pasta back in the pan combine with the cooked mix of ramps and chopped prosciutto. Crack one egg right in there and ever so gently stir it around on low heat. You're not looking for scrambled eggs here but a nice glossy finish on your pasta. Finally, grind a whole lot of black pepper and mix in around 1/4 cup of pecorino romano and enjoy.

I sure did.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Hi Salted Cod,

Just found your blog. What a great addition to Boston's food blogging scene. The pasta carbonara with ramps looks great! For some reason I've never made carbonara sauce until last week. I tried it with sauteed zucchini and it was very yummy. I bet the ramp version is even better.

Cheers,
-Helen